[Events] getting people to fill out exit surveys

Shauna Gordon-McKeon shaunagm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 03:01:49 UTC 2014

Now that you mention it, I do remember the "what went right/what went
wrong" part of the day!  And I've seen the blog posts summarizing that
feedback for individual events.  Do you find that feedback adequate when
trying to get a sense of how changes to curriculum design, event structure,
etc are impacting the event?

Your post-survey response rates make me pretty pessimistic.  If such a
competent, effective group as Software Carpentry can only get a 10%
response rate, what hope is there for us?  ;)

I think probably we need to think about what, precisely, we want to know
and if there are better ways to figure that out than a survey.  Our needs
have changed a bit as we move to organizing events that neither Asheesh nor
myself is physically present for. I'm not sure how to measure how an event
is going when I can't see attendees' faces or see for myself how engaged
they are.