[Events] getting people to fill out exit surveys

Michelle Rowley mrowley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:19:06 UTC 2014

Shauna,

This is such a difficult problem. When I ran the Portland Python Workshops
for Women (and their friends!) back in 2012, we built in time for the
attendees to fill out the survey at the end of the workshop (and we still
got less than 50% participation, if I recall correctly). Recently we ran a
different workshop at Code Scouts and sent an email asking for feedback
afterward. I think we got *maybe* 20% participation (and it was a very
short survey).

I think if there was time built in *and* a prize, and you could only enter
the drawing with some sort of code you found out at the end of the
survey... that would probably get you above 50% and maybe higher. For a
free event, it occurs to me that you might be able to guilt people into it
by reminding them that it was free and the only payment you ask is
feedback. I'm not a huge fan of guilt trips in general, but feedback is so
crucial, it might be worth it in that case! :)

Michelle Rowley
Executive Director, Code Scouts <http://www.codescouts.org/>
Founder + Chief Culture Engineer, Cultivate & Co. <http://cultivateand.co/>