[Events] Finding time for projects in Boston Python Workshop-style workshops

Julia Evans julia at jvns.ca
Thu Mar 28 00:27:39 UTC 2013

Hi all,

In Montréal we've done a couple of workshops based on the Boston Python
Workshop (both aimed at everyone), and we're running a third one this
Friday specifically targeted at women and friends.

One thing that we've found is that the Saturday lecture on lists &
dictionaries & modules takes a fairly long time -- it's been really
participatory and people ask a lot of great questions and are really
engaged, but then it doesn't leave very much time for working on projects.
(also, the first time our power went out, which didn't help :))

Our thinking right now is that we want to spend as much time explaining
lists as it takes for people to understand lists, but we also want people
to be exploring on their own as much as possible, and I'm not sure how to
balance the two.

How have other people split the time between lecturing and working on
projects? Do you split up the lecture to do exercises from codingbat, etc?

Any insights would be awesome.

thanks,
Julia