[Events] Notes on History & Ethics of Free Software resource

Cat Allman allman at google.com
Thu Jun 6 14:11:27 UTC 2013

> Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:50:13 -0400
> From: Shauna Gordon-McKeon <shaunagm at gmail.com>
> To: events at lists.openhatch.org
> Subject: Re: [Events] Notes on History & Ethics of Free Software
>         resource
>
> > I do try to illuminate the history pre-RMS briefly by saying that when he
> > asked
> > around to find the person who wrote the driver, it was easy because back
> > then,
> > there weren't that many people who wrote software, so you probably were
> > friends-
> > of-friends with them. I will see if I can put in a few more sentences
> > before.
> >

> Is there really no canonical or even totally untrustworthy source that
> talks about the pre-RMS history of software?  Because I think we can do
> better than a few sentences, but I don't really know where to begin.  Well,
> I guess we begin by identifying primary sources.  If you're less interested
> in this, I can put it on my to-do.

Search for recording of talks:
- on the history of Unix by Peter Salus
- on the development of BSD, in particular the AT&T lawsuit, by Marshall
Kirk McKusick.  Also interviews on the topic.

You might also contact Sue Graham -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_L._Graham
for her take on the subject.

FOSS did not spring full grown from the forehead of RMS: it is much older
and bigger than 1 person.

Hope this helps!

Cat

--
Cat Allman

allman at google.com
1-650-214-4886
Open Source Programs Office
Mountain View, CA USA
code.google.com

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future."
Niels Bohr