[Events] economic diversity

Jenifer Mylo jenmylo at automattic.com
Mon Jan 28 19:23:16 UTC 2013

On 1/28/13 8:03 PM, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> But we would still improve the economic diversity of our contributor
> base by reaching out to pink-collar women who have clerical jobs, and
> poor students at community colleges.
At WordPress, I'm just starting a new diversity workshop initiative
(pilot planning:
http://make.wordpress.org/community/2013/01/23/level-up-training-for-diversitygrowth/
) that is beginning with a focus on women, but is going to hit
socioeconomic (with a splash of race) next, by trying to partner with
less exclusive colleges as you suggest.

I specifically am thinking of community colleges and schools like
CUNY-Lehman in the Bronx (an urban public college) where I was a student
at one point -- frequently I was the only caucasian and/or the only
person living above the poverty line in my specific classes. The
students in my classes usually were very bright, but they lacked
opportunity. Since schools like this already have computer labs that
students have free access to, being able to practice is just like doing
homework. Especially for the young single mothers in those classes,
being able to work from home making $50 an hour setting up WordPress
sites would be a lot nicer than the jobs they were getting after
graduation that required leaving their kids and paid almost nothing. I'm
also looking to partner with these schools on creating actual classes in
their curricula around these skills for credit. Queens College has a
WordPress class already, so I'm hopeful that we can move forward this
way, making an impact in the places where it's clearly possible but
needs some dedicated pushing.

Jen Mylo
Cat Herder
WordPress.org