[Events] Open source comes to campus: RPI, Apr 21-22. Can you help find instructors?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Apr 10 19:12:52 UTC 2012

Hi all events people,

We're organizing the next Open Source Comes to Campus event at RPI. It
takes place pretty soon: April 21-22

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/RPI is the general
information about it.

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/RPI/Staff is the
staff page. If you're interested in lurking behind the scenes and want to
subscribe to the staff list, please go ahead (I'll have to approve it, but
that should be fine).

I'm aiming to do some exit surveying of previous attendees to figure out
what we can improve for this workshop.

One big request: If you know people in the Albany, NY, or Troy, NY, area
who are open source contributors who would make good instructors, let me
know!

Here's what we wrote about the TAs and module instructors we need. Thanks!

-- Asheesh.

== What it means to be a module lead instructor ==

You prepare whatever teaching aids are necessary -- slides, exercises --
and help students understand the part of the curriculum that you are
assigned.

You also should discuss your teaching plan with your TA so that the TA can
help answer students' questions.

We aim for about half of the module time to be lecture/discussion, and
half to be hands-on exercises. If you need help designing lecture,
discussion, exercises, let Asheesh know and he will help.

== What it means to be a TA ==

The purpose of TAs is to help make sure students get the most out of a
module. Specifically, you help the primary instructor by answering student
questions about the material and help them past problems with their
laptops, either by showing them how to solve a problem or escalating the
issue to the instructor if you can't fix it.

On Friday or Saturday, before the module's first run, you should spend
some time (5 to 20 minutes) discussing the module with its lead
instructor.

You're welcome to participate in other ways, as they make sense to you --
for example, help elucidate under-addressed topics during the Ethics and
Economics section by asking questions.