[Events] Proposed Boston Python Workshop website

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Wed Oct 26 18:21:56 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Tue Oct 25 12:43:07 -0400 2011:
> Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Wed Oct 19 16:24:45 -0400 2011:
> > Hello folks!
> >
> > I made a draft version of a Boston Python Workshop website. Here it is:
> >
> > http://linode.openhatch.org/~paulproteus/tmp-bpw/public/
> >
> > (source here: https://gitorious.org/openhatch/oh-bpw )
>
> Last night, Jessica and I had time to talk about it. Here are some
> action items.
>
> * we want to replace the image on the front with a different photo

Jessica, I want you to choose the photo here!

> * we want to make sure that when you look at the front page,
>   your eye is drawn to the central information (photo/text)

To achieve this, we decided to make the navigation a little less bold,
and spread it across the top rather than the left.

> * Replace front big text with: "We empower women of all backgrounds to learn practical programming in a beginner-friendly environment."

Done. (Text subject to further change; submit a patch or suggest specific
alternate text.)

> * don't use the word hack on the events page (suggestion: s/open hack session/where you can continue practicing and learning/)

Done.

> * instead of archiving information from previous events on this site, we could use a page on the wiki that was clearly labeled as an archive page

Done.

> on the sponsors page:
>
> * rename the page "sponsorship"

Done

> * we could use the word professional less often

Done

> on the about page:
>
> * move the results section a little higher

Done

> * if we need to keep talking about the history and the people who started it, we can move that to a section below results
>   (Jessica feels that we don't need to even mention them anyway)

I relegated that to a section.

> * Jessica does not need a shout out that says that she's the leading organizer

Fixed.

> on the events page:
>
> * do not need to say that the upcoming event is number five

Fixed.

> * s/We don't have a signup/When we have a signup/

Fixed.

> * we can link the past event information section to a new archive page

Done.

https://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_Workshop/archive is now
full of text.

> * the link to join the Boston Python user group could look more like a button

Done

> press page:
>
> * it would be nice to have an embedded Flickr photo browser

I will do this in the next iteration

> * Jessica can tag photos that she thinks would be appropriate to appear here

(she provided me a directory of photos but I haven't reviewed them in
depth yet)

> the run your own page:
>
> * it would be nice if we showed the logos of the efforts that we inspired

Next iteration, for now

> domain name:
>
> * Asheesh wants to use bostonpythonworkshop.com for now, and Jessica says sure
>
> I will work on implementing these changes today.

I shipped these changes and they are live at
http://bostonpythonworkshop.com/ and will now handle the image-related changes.