[Events] Starting a "Get involved in open source" class on P2PU

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 23:33:16 UTC 2011

Hi Asheesh,

This looks awesome! Do you need help with anything? Are there particular
times that it would be helpful for a bunch of mentor-types to be in
#openhatch?

Here's a snippet from a discussion in #openhatch about the course. Everyone
on this list should feel welcome to hang out in #openhatch, and if you'd
like help getting on IRC let me know -- I'd be happy to help!

18:09 < jesstess> I have a question which I can re-iterate on the mailing
list but would like to ask here :)
18:10 < jesstess> Er, maybe questions plural:
18:10 < jesstess> 1. Do you need to list the things people need anywhere
(e.g. a machine running Linux), or does that all fall out during the videos?
18:11 < jesstess> 2. For people who don't typically use Linux, are you
faking it with git bash, or are you doing something else to make it
cross-platform?
18:11 < paulproteus> re: 1) As a matter of clarity, the course description
should surely say something about this.
18:12 < paulproteus> I think any machine is fine if people can get into a
command prompt of some kind, though naturally that's easier on Mac and
Linuxy than Windows systems.
18:12 < keturn> so ... five weeks on the one hand, or 2.5 hours of
instructional time on the other ...
18:12 < paulproteus> 2) I think I'll tell people to use Git Bash for
command-line-y stuff like diff/patch etc
18:13 < jesstess> Okay, cool. So yeah, an explicit prerequisites / things
you need to have section would be good.
18:16 < paulproteus> I would like to add more co-instructors also at some
point but right now I am crunched for brain power
18:16 < jesstess> A couple tiny things: http://openetherpad.org/7ElggbaIO7
18:16 < jesstess> I can also send these to you in an e-mail for when you
are not crunched for brain power.
18:17 < paulproteus> jesstess: I like those a lot.
18:17 < paulproteus> Okay if I give you permission to edit the real
description?
18:17 < paulproteus> (on p2pu; I guess you'd need to reg. for an account)
18:17 < jesstess> Sure.
18:18 < jesstess> I'm also happy to co-instruct in whatever capacity is
helpful. (And I appreciate the shout-out to the MIT event!)
18:18 < paulproteus> Awesome.
18:19 < paulproteus> Please do register for an acct and tell me your p2pu
username
18:21 < jesstess> paulproteus: as you might guess, jesstess
18:21 < jesstess> :)
18:21 < paulproteus> You are an Organizer and should please be bold with
Description edits
18:22 < paulproteus> Co-teaching-wise, there are two sides to this.
18:22 < paulproteus> The easy (for me) way for others to co-teach are 0)
spread the word 1) help answer students' questions 2) give me feedback on
exercises and video content
18:23 < paulproteus> The harder (for me) way is if I prepare a planned
video outline before I make the video so others can feedback that before I
cut it into a video
18:23 < paulproteus> That's probably wise for me to do, actually
18:23 < paulproteus> Also if you want you (or others) could do one or more
of the videos if we agree on what it is! (-:
18:24 < paulproteus> and/or the videos could be a discussion for some of
the topics; I haven't thought that far ahead
18:24 < paulproteus> </co-teaching-thoughts>

Regards,
-Jessica