[Events] Feedback from training session

Christine Spang spang at MIT.EDU
Fri Mar 4 05:48:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:09:08PM -0500, Jessica McKellar wrote:
> One possibility for retaining the web app as a project would be modifying
> the setup so that it is locally hosted and doesn't use git, and have both
> the setup and the project work happen on Saturday. That way only people who
> want to handle the setup will do it. I don't know if 1.5 days is enough time
> to make these modifications. Asheesh, what do you think about this idea?

Can't we just give people the option to not do the setup for
the web app on Friday night if they think it's too crazy?
We can say that "as long as you have at least ColorWall
set up, you're good to go". But people will still be able to
go for the web app if they get through the first parts very
quickly and are eager for more.

It would be a shame to ditch the web app because: (a) it's
pretty cool, (b) we advertised it, (c) it worked for
Railsbridge and that was the inspiration for this event, (d)
we've done a lot of prep work for it.

If things don't work out as well as we hope, there's always
the opportunity to iterate for next time.

That said, I don't think it's good for the overall event to
have people teaching things that they don't want to teach
(or feeling resentful for other reasons).  Whatever we're
going to do, we should agree on it.

Christine