[Events] Feedback from training session

Deborah Hanus dhanus at mit.edu
Fri Mar 4 03:57:56 UTC 2011

Dear friends,

I tend to agree with Jessica on this one.   If when I had started
programming, I had had to install three apps (including git -- which is a
giant tarball of frustration if you do not understand it) and follow more
than a page of instructions, I think that I would have felt a bit
overwhelmed and wondered if "learning to program" was actually worth it to
me.

That said, getting comfortable with git, django, etc. is a great thing to
do, and I think people should be introduced to those tools early in their
programming career. However, because understanding how all of the
applications work together can be very confusing, I think we should put a
lot of thought into how to present it clearly.

How would you guys feel about offering an optional "Part 2" to this
introduction on another weekend?  That way the students who are really
excited about programming can come back another day to add even more tools
to their repertoire, while the students who would prefer a slower
introduction, can spend more time getting comfortable with python on their
own before diving into everything else.

Looking forward to this weekend!

Deborah