[Events] South Carolina and my wacky idea

Deborah Nicholson deb at seagl.org
Thu Jan 27 23:09:48 UTC 2011

Wow.

Ok, let me revise. They are excited about a python workshop and then got all
weird when I reiterated the "women and their friends" part. The part that is
missing for them is the same thing that Asheesh brought up. Our goal isn't
to build women-only python groups but to jumpstart the integration into
existing groups. Spartanburg doesn't have an existing group.

> What I like the most about these events is:
>
> * Even though they are gender-specific, but *goal* is to integrate people
> into an existing multi-gender community

Spartanburg doesn't meet the "existing community" and "urban area"
component. Atlanta linuxfest or OSCON might be better choices for a "women
and their friends" event.

> Can you say more about the goal of the event you want to run?

I still think it would be fun to run a python workshop at SELF and work on
the language (Debian Women style) to get a good turnout of women. In my mind
we'd encourage people at the conference to become involved in an online
project (like OpenHatch) if they don't have a local community or both if
they do... so the focus would be more advanced than "intro to open source"
but not tightly focused on "now you can join your local python group"
either. That may be too big of an idea to flesh out in this kind of
timeframe, although I am still willing.