[Events] Changing from AppEngine to a different, free-of-cost Django web hosting

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Feb 28 19:53:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> http://www.alwaysdata.com/ offers free Django hosting.
>
> I'm working on the tutorial now, and I can put together a really really
> nice git-based deployment workflow for people. I'll be writing that up
> and working through the kinks this weekend.
>
> If for some reason someone wants to object to this, then do so soon,
> please. I think it'll actually end up being pretty nice.

Okay, so here is the current status:

Given that we are using Alwaysdata, we can have people go through the
official Django tutorial. I *am* behind schedule on providing a totally
ready-for-Saturday version of it, but I've begun sketching it out at
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Boston_Python_workshop/Saturday/Web_app_project
. I made a bunch of decisions over the weekend that mean that it's now
going to be just a task of doing the writing and testing.

With Deb's feedback, I'll trivially modify the poll so that there are
images attached to them; she suggested that would make it more
interesting.

I know I said I'd have it done by today afternoon, but I overslept on a
nap that was supposed to help me get over some jet lag... and now I have
to do my day job for a bit. Mega frownies.

But I think I can ship a usable beta of the tutorial by this time
tomorrow. It'll require some focused time on it, but that's much easier
now that I can just sit at my desktop and do that. My work on the tutorial
will mostly be be adding a few steps here and there for interfacing with
Alwaysdata, so that people can see how to deploy their work.