[Events] Today's meeting agenda

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 14:57:34 UTC 2011

Minutes from Boston Python workshop meeting, Feb. 15th.

===

   Q. What experience level do we want from our attendees?

A. absolute beginner + limited programming experience

Q. What is the general structure for Saturday?

- proposal 1: lecture followed by hacking time

- proposal 2: lecture broken up by chunks of hands-on time to reinforce
concepts, followed by hacking time

- proposal 3: the lecture is working through a set project, like RailsBridge

A. Proposal 2. We are guessing 2 45-minutes lecture chunks, with 15-minutes
or so of hands-on time after each lecture chunk. There will be 1 curriculum
taught by several instructors (pending issue: how many projectors will we
have?). The curriculum will focus on Python basics.

Q. What projects will we have for the hacking time?

A. 2 projects: a web app designed by the Asheesh and the visualizer designed
by Jessica. The web app is a longer project, so we are envisioning people
doing visualizer work before, after, or as a break from the web app.

Q. Where will we find participants?

A. Boston Python mailing list, Sprout's discuss list. We expect that to
generate the 30 people we need, but jobslist is another option.

Things to note:

- Asheesh is out of town until the Monday of the workshop (Feb. 28).

Action times:

1. [Asheesh: web app, Jessica: visualizer] Make the hacking projects exist
and work on Linux, OSX, and Windows, and document their dependencies on
these platforms. Send mail to the list with this information. Deadline:
Monday, Feb. 21st.

2. [Jessica] Write up an outline for the lecture material. Deadline: Monday,
Feb. 21st.

3. [Jessica] Get more volunteers.

4. [Jessica] Send the mailing list a revised blurb. Once acked, send the
blurb to MSNerd. Deadline: yesterday, but I failed to bring this list home
and act on it, so -- today.

5. [Asheesh] Set up RSVP functionality on the Boston Python events site.

6. [Jessica] Pick a date for a practice session for instructors. Goals for
that session:

1. Everyone can troubleshoot getting to a Python prompt and running scripts
from the command line on Linux, OSX, Windows.

2. Everyone can troubleshoot installing the dependencies for the two
projects.

Deadline: Monday, Feb. 21st.

7. [Jessica] Ask MSNerd about:

1. them sponsoring food

2. how many projectors we can get

during the meeting with Leah Brunson on Thursday, Feb. 17th (tomorrow).

TBD:

- When exactly we'll start advertising. A suggestion from Ned: send a feeler
e-mail to the Boston Python mailing list now.

===

-Jessica