[Events] South Carolina and my wacky idea

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Feb 10 16:44:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Deborah Nicholson wrote:

> Wow.
>
> Ok, let me revise. They are excited about a python workshop and then got
> all weird when I reiterated the "women and their friends" part. The part
> that is missing for them is the same thing that Asheesh brought up. Our
> goal isn't to build women-only python groups but to jumpstart the
> integration into existing groups. Spartanburg doesn't have an existing
> group.

*nod*

> I still think it would be fun to run a python workshop at SELF and work
> on the language (Debian Women style) to get a good turnout of women. In
> my mind we'd encourage people at the conference to become involved in an
> online project (like OpenHatch) if they don't have a local community or
> both if they do... so the focus would be more advanced than "intro to
> open source" but not tightly focused on "now you can join your local
> python group" either. That may be too big of an idea to flesh out in
> this kind of timeframe, although I am still willing.

I think it would be exciting. And re: "work on the language...to get a
good turnout of women", I'd say this list has plenty of experience with
that -- and I think that's a great way to do things. The list got started
due to the
http://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1
event, which had 35%-ish women.

As for running an event at SELF, I guess for me, where I stand is that I
should't be adding more things to my own plate, but I'm happy to help
others.

Q:	What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?
A:	Stay awake and wonder if there's a dog.