[Events] Open source comes to campus: website in beta

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Tue Aug 16 15:49:37 UTC 2011

Please give the site a fresh look:

http://campus.openhatch.org/

Excerpts from Jessica Ledbetter's message of Sat Aug 13 11:17:39 -0400 2011:
> Jessica gets huge bonus points for submitting her feedback as patches. I'm
> heading out the door so I'm just going to email questions/suggestions :)
> Hope that is ok!
>
> Since you have white mouseovers for the tabs if you should have "active" be
> white too? Especially since there's a white bar running below. Just seems
> like it wants to blend and be "active," if that makes sense.

The "framework" (trivial set of scripts) that generate these pages don't
support that. I'll add that...

...done!

> I'm not used to seeing the beta ribbon follow me down the page. Did you mean
> for it to do that?

Well I just removed it, so whatever. (-:

> *on http://campus.openhatch.org/upcoming-events/*  :
> "be a part of this, let us know!" --> make it really easy by linking to
> either "Get in Touch" or like you did on "Past Events."

I adjusted the text there to be a bit clearer.

> "Send us an email!" -> ditto

I think since the email address is already on the page, I'm going to leave
that as-is for now.

> Maybe for the text below, use the "royal we" (like on the front page) or
> just drop "probably Asheesh Laroia." I'm guessing that you'll find help
> cause this idea and you are awesome!
> "A representative of OpenHatch, probably Asheesh Laroia, will plan and
> organize the event."

I adjusted the text here to link to the "About us" page.

> "We organize weekend workshops at colleges to teach students how to get
> involved in open source software. You can invite us to your college." I
> thought OpenHatch was a website for getting people involved in open source.
> Maybe keep that brand/mission but add something like "In addition to that,
> we are now organizing weekend workshops at colleges to teach students ..."

You're right to be confused. I'll adjust the front page. (-:

You're seeing a transition here in OpenHatch, where the project takes a more
hands-on approach with events. I'd say that began in Sep 2010 with the Penn
workshop, continued through the Boston Python Workshop's success, and now I'm
institutionalizing it.

How's this?

"We're currently organizing weekend workshops at colleges to teach students how
to get involved in open source software. You can invite us to your college."

> I really like that you said that it's not just about coding. So true! Open
> source projects usually can use all sorts of contributors!
>
> Also, I really like that the photos are women in them. Thank you :)

(-:

It's easy to get photos with both women and men if the event is pretty diverse,
like it was at Penn.

> Are you going to host the slides on gitorious for others to branch? Kind of
> like the ruby workshops for women?

Once we have more of a curriculum, yes. (-:

> Is openhatch.org going to get this design?

Not that I know of. Patches welcome, if people think it's a good idea. (-:

> Really dig the idea :)

Yay!