[Events] Boston Python Workshop 2 feeler e-mail

Jessica McKellar jessica.mckellar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:26:04 UTC 2011

I basically agree with what Asheesh said. A few more comments inline:

>> It seems like we are duplicating lots of effort in materials and the
>> like.  Do we want to converge on any technologies or methods?

Having only run one workshop each, I think we are still at the point
where we are figuring out through experience and exploration what
works best. So I don't think we know what to converge on yet.

> The PyStar site is in git, which is nice for forkability. It's not as nice
> for attendees fixing up busted instructions. That just leaves me confused as
> to the "right" answer.
>
> I want to make sure everyone knows the way I see PyStar and the OpenHatch
> events, which is that they should be extremely forkable. I want 100 cities
> running 50-10 different slightly wacky local curricula, but I also want
> people to be able to read each others' work in terms of making their
> materials better.

==Asheesh.

> Maybe the thing I would love the most is if there were a "central"
> repository of everyone's work merged into one giant set of directories of
> restructured text. I don't know. The ability for local groups to make their
> own infrastructure is important to me -- no one city's awesome website
> changes should be blocked by having to ask permission to SSH into the main
> website and do a "git pull".

==Asheesh. Perhaps this is way more decentralized in my mind than in
other peoples' minds. My hope is to 1) help develop material and a
workshop structure that we prove through experience is effective for
teaching different kinds of people Python, and 2) make those materials
and what we've learned readily available to people who want to run
their own workshops. However, I don't want to impose anything on
people who want to run their own workshops -- this includes things
like names, how they advertise themselves, what their website/wiki
looks like, an obligation to use particular materials, etc.

>> 3)  Eventbrite?  Are y'all using meetup instead?  If so, why (genuine
>> interest).
>
> We are using Meetup. Inertia plus experience. I talked about that a little
> in http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/events/2011-March/000123.html .

A lot of our attendees heard about the workshop from people they know
who are a part of the Boston Python Meetup.

>> 4)  Co-ordinating timings of workshops, etc.
>
> I'd be interested to hear why that's worth doing. Honest question.

==Asheesh

>> I could hang out Friday day (lunchtime, April 8) in Boston before my
>> flight back, if people want to meet/discuss.  I could use me some Other Side
>> or Friendly Toast, or such!

> I would like to hang out, and Friday @ Friendly Toast would be quite good
> for me. Other Side is okay but less convenient. I'm open to other ideas.

I work in Central, so Friendly Toast (or something in Central) is
easiest for me.

-Jessica