[Events] Introduction to open source development event

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Nov 25 16:47:42 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, Eitan Adler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read about an event held at the University of Pennsylvania
> (http://opensource.com/life/10/11/introducing-students-world-open-source-day-1)
> where they discussions about various topics including
>    * Communication technologies, like IRC and mailing lists
>    * How to get, build, and modify open source code
>    * Project organization, including version control, bug trackers,
> and individual roles within a project
>    * Linux and command line skills
>
> I was hoping to run a similar event at Binghamton University (where I
> am currently a student).

I find this idea thrilling. (-:

> I am still in the early stages of planning but I was hoping to see if
> anyone would be interested in helping with the event. I'm looking for
> people who have participated in source projects to discuss there
> experiences, explain the various concepts listed above (or any other
> topics which may be relevant), etc. The date I am targeting is Jan
> 30th or February 6th but this is flexible.
>
> This post is CCed to events at lists.openhatch.org (the group that ran
> the original event) and stnylug-list at stnylug.org (a local Linux user
> group)

For the event at Penn, we had two separate days -- one of teaching, which
we did on Saturday, and one of doing, which we did on Sunday.

I would be definitely willing to help plan and execute the event.

What I suggest you and I do is pick a time to talk about it, and we can
meet up on irc or video chat or a phone call or whatever medium you like.

I think that the most important thing is to have agreement in the
organizing team as to the kind of events you want to run, and then to
start advertising the event in full force about 10 days before it. I also
think that before we do the teaching part, we'll need to identify good
teachers and have us all do a practice run of our teaching so we are
better-organized than we were at penn.