[OH-Dev] Meeting Minutes from the 2015-06-25 OH Discussion at Open Source Bridge

Elana Hashman elana at hashman.ca
Thu Oct 29 21:47:11 UTC 2015

Are we ready to act on this? Does anyone else want to weigh in
(Susan, Carol, Britta, Karen)?

On 2015-07-09 10:16, Philip James
wrote:

> There was an impromptu discussion about OpenHatch and it's
future at Open Source Bridge in Portland two weeks ago. These are the
minutes from that meeting, with annotations of speaker wherever
possible. These minutes are not exact, but I hope I've captured the
sentiment. Feel free to make corrections.

> Attendees: Asheesh
Laroia (AL), Elana Hashman (EH), Philip James (PJ), Cathy Theys (CT),
Bradley Kuhn (BK)

> Notes:
>
> * The main OH website should
basically be replaced with the content of campus.openhatch.org [1]
(AL)
> * Projects and profiles on OH-Mainline should be deprecated and
removed, they're probably more trouble than they're worth (EH)

> * We
should measure how much they're actually being used

> * We should
replace the missions in OH-Mainline with coursera or edx content that is
curated/created by OH members
> * It might be worth spinning off
learn-irc.com [2] (or something like that) to replace the IRC mission -
general usefulness to the internet at large
> * When people fund OH,
they're mostly funding the campus events - BK
> * Search has high SEO
and engagement, and should be fixed rather than abandoned (EH)
> * The
wiki is a mess, should be better (EH)

> * AL agrees
> * EH suggests
moving some of the wiki content into "main" content (better formatting,
easier discoverability?)
> * AL: we should be promoting certain pieces
of content better

> * Going forward, no new features on OH-Mainline,
but we should certainly fix bugs
> * AL needs to train others on
deployment!

> * moving to Heroku?
> * Rackspace might donate a lot of
hosting - BK

> Reading over these notes, I'm betting there's the
potential for a lot of discussion about them. I think it's worth noting
that nothing on this list has been enacted, and for the moment (I think)
these are strong suggestions instead of hard commandments.

> Thanks,

> Philip
>
> PJJ
> http://philipjohnjames.com [3]