[OH-Dev] A new simpler future for openhatch.org web tech

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Dec 22 03:19:23 UTC 2015

Hi oh-devel,

Elana and Carol and I met today about future technical direction of the
OpenHatch code base. With a new year coming up, we want to have a 2016 new
year's resolution for OpenHatch and its code base. OpenHatch values being a
place for new contributors to learn about open source and the basic skills
needed to begin contributing.

Here's our 2016 new year's resolutions for OpenHatch.

* OpenHatch will focus on encouraging users and organizations to run Open
Source Comes to Campus events. (This probably makes the best use of our
volunteer energy.)

* A new landing page for openhatch.org will be created and simplify access
to useful resources. (It will probably be static HTML.)

* The existing Django website will be archived as a time capsule of
OpenHatch's past. (The three of us are very grateful to John Morrissey for
the huge task of moving it to Heroku, which makes it sustainable from the
perspective of future time of OpenHatch volunteers.)

* We will migrate the training missions to some kind of technology set that
doesn't require us to maintain a backend. (Perhaps
https://www.npmjs.com/package/workshopper )

* We will investigate migrating the wiki to another host, decoupling it
from OpenHatch logins. (This will probably mean you'll have to do password
resets to regain access to your account. Working out the details.)

* We will try to find another community to house the volunteer opportunity
finder, perhaps the nice people behind http://up-for-grabs.net/. (It'd be
nice if we can fix the constantly-broken bug importers, resulting in us
contributing something novel to up-for-grabs.net, namely the ability to
search non-github projects. Probably this would result in us running the
bug importers on the Heroku infrastructure, thanks to John's work.)

* While we make these changes, we will continue to strive to be a welcoming
and friendly community. That will mean, for example, helping people get
their current pull requests merged if they're interested in the educational
value of doing that.

* We will have a regularly scheduled monthly development meeting that is
open to all to participate.

We wish everyone in the OpenHatch community all the best for 2016.

Yours,

Asheesh, with Carol Willing and Elana Hashman.