[OH-Dev] Search Expansion

Elana Hashman elana at hashman.ca
Thu Apr 16 20:16:39 UTC 2015

On 2015-04-16 11:35, Alex Chumbley wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, I've been using Openhatch as a case study in both my UI/UX class
> and
> OpenSource dev class for the past couple weeks. It's been fun, I've
> been
> contributing in very trivial ways (github @chums923).

Great to hear! I've been reviewing some of your contributions, hi :)

> Anyway, I've been looking for a way to contribute something a little
> more
> meaningful (one of the goals of this OpenSource class). I know that
> this
> topic has been discussed before, but one that came to mind
> immediately
> was how search is done. Currently, it's just done via bug trackers
> for
> projects, but one could imagine we could offer a user a lot more to
> search. We could allow people to search for:
>
> 1) Well maintained projects
>
> 2) Projects with large/small amount of contributors
>
> 3) Old/New projects
>
> just to name a few. As it stands, people don't even know what a
> project
> is about without a few extra navigation steps. All of this data
> currently
> exists on a per bug basis, but not for the project. And it would all
> be
> pretty easy to get via the Github API.

Comment 1: I use the "search" label to try to identify bugs/feature
requests filed against search/. e.g.

https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Asearch

(I just added tags to a few issues I noticed were missing)

You might want to take a look at some of those for ideas; indeed, one
of
the issues Asheesh linked refers to having search/ index both bugs
*and*
projects IIRC, which is what you've suggested here!

Comment 2: We don't only scrape GitHub issues, so that the GitHub API
supports this is great but not sufficient. Indeed, we also support
- BugZilla
- Jira
- Roundup

to name just a few. If you're curious how we scrape bugs for search/, I
recommend you take a look at

https://github.com/openhatch/oh-bugimporters
https://oh-bugimporters.readthedocs.org/

> TL;DR I'd like to contribute something meaningful. Expanding search
> came
> to mind (increases UX IMHO). If this doesn't jive with everyone, I'll
> get
> back to the drawing board and come back with another proposal!
> (There's
> an idea floating around in my head of having a mission that deals
> with
> testing)

Yay! Thanks, Alex! Excited to see what features come out of this.

Cheers,

- e