[OH-Dev] Search Expansion

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at sandstorm.io
Thu Apr 16 15:46:35 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM, Alex Chumbley <Chumbley at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, I've been using Openhatch as a case study in both my UI/UX class and
> OpenSource dev class for the past couple weeks. It's been fun, I've been
> contributing in very trivial ways (github @chums923).
>
> Anyway, I've been looking for a way to contribute something a little more
> meaningful (one of the goals of this OpenSource class). I know that this
> topic has been discussed before, but one that came to mind immediately was
> how search is done. Currently, it's just done via bug trackers for
> projects, but one could imagine we could offer a user a lot more to search.
> We could allow people to search for:
>
> 1) Well maintained projects
>
> 2) Projects with large/small amount of contributors
>
> 3) Old/New projects
>
> just to name a few. As it stands, people don't even know what a project is
> about without a few extra navigation steps. All of this data currently
> exists on a per bug basis, but not for the project. And it would all be
> pretty easy to get via the Github API.

I'm super excited by this idea, Alex, and would love to support you in
doing this.

I have a few ideas I've been mulling over, but haven't had time to
implement, so part of me wants to say: I suggest you implement whatever you
think is better, and we can merge it if it's no worse.

(Also, whoa -- what open source dev class? That sounds super.)

You can find some of my (and others'!) ideas, for whatever they're worth,
here:

https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues/1242

https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues/1029

> *tl;dr* I'd like to contribute something meaningful. Expanding search
> came to mind (increases UX IMHO). If this doesn't jive with everyone, I'll
> get back to the drawing board and come back with another proposal! (There's
> an idea floating around in my head of having a mission that deals with
> testing)

+1

There's lots that can be done; to me, identifying the parts of the project
that are exciting but yet under-deliver are the most impactful things to
do. I'm grateful and touched that you are interested in doing that!