[OH-Dev] pull request linting service

Justin Abrahms justin at abrah.ms
Thu Sep 11 05:45:06 UTC 2014

Hi Elana,

It appears I wildly overestimated the amount of work needed for this. I
thought you guys were trying to run the automated linting against the
other projects that people contribute to, not oh-mainline. This gets
much easier now!

It's worth mentioning that imhotep (the library) is future-facing,
meaning it only yells at you about lint violations on changed lines, not
existing lines in the diff. This means you can add it now, even if your
code isn't 100% compliant, and things will get better over time.

I can likely setup my own jenkins box to build from a fork of
oh-mainline. Can someone point me to the configs used for jenkins jobs?

 -justin

Elana Hashman wrote:
> On 2014-09-10 12:41, Justin Abrahms wrote:
>>
>> Hello openhatchers.
>
> Hi Justin!
>

>> A few months ago someone mentioned[0] a desire to have a bot which
>> provides automated style feedback. I've written a library that does
>> just that, and would be interested in setting up the necessary
>> infrastructure to have it automatically run for you guys.
>
> This sounds super awesomely fantastic.
>

>> [...] Questions I have:
>>
>> 1. Is this still something openhatch is interested in?
>
> Yes! Absolutely. You could take a look at
> https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues/1427 and
> https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/issues/1245
>

>> 2. Based on the PR, it sounds like you have server infrastructure
>> already. Are there docs on that? Could I theoretically deploy a
>> service there? The requirements would be the ability to run a small
>> web service, a queue, possibly a database, and python. I could also
>> possibly structure it as a free heroku web server and a queue
>> worker living on a different box. (I don't think there's a free
>> worker queue?)
>
> You might want to take a look at these docs:
> http://openhatch.readthedocs.org/en/latest/internals/continuous_integration.html

(though Carol just filed