[OH-Dev] Logging and Testing Improvements for OpenHatch

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Sun May 4 22:53:59 UTC 2014

Hi Carol!

I left a few small ideas on the pull request.

In general, huge +1 to never using "print" and always using a call to
logger or logging.

Django provides some kind of framework for helping with this, but I haven't
gotten around to understanding it yet.

To reply more specifically:

> Suggestion #1: "Ability to run tests and suppress other info (logging and
print statements) from output to the console."

This gets my +1 !

> Suggestion #2: More flexibility in logging information and output to
files to aid in debugging

This gets my +0, so long as that flexibility doesn't carry a large
cognitive burden for contributors/developers.

I would secretly probably be equally happy with a giant switch to
enable/disable a firehose, since at the point where you want to see
anything, it's sometimes hard to know which things to enable.

Having said that, I'm fine with more flexibility, so long as it is easy for
everyone. I think you're in a good position to make those kinds of judgment
calls.

> Suggestion #3: Better documentation of tests and test runners as well as
logging

Mega +1.

Yesterday I referred some people toward
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Automated_testing which was useful, but surely