[OH-Dev] Need some feedback regarding the pip/easyinstall mission

Carol Willing willingc at willingconsulting.com
Sun Jul 27 22:33:35 UTC 2014

Hi Eeshan,

You may find this resource a useful reference:
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/

Nick Coghlan, Python core developer, spoke about this resource at SciPy
2014 a few weeks ago.

There is good info in the document including a link to Asheesh's PyCon
talk on packaging.

This section highlights pip vs. easy_install:
https://python-packaging-user-guide.readthedocs.org/en/latest/current.html#packaging-tool-recommendations
My understanding is that easy_install use will be decreasing over time.
Do we want to deemphasize easy_install in the mission (or refer people
to the packaging guide for additional information).

I have not looked at the mission in a while but we may also want to
point out that pip3 is used for Python 3.4 (current version 3 release).

Thanks!
Carol

On 7/24/14, 8:52 AM, Eeshan Garg wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I am working on the pip/easy_install mission and I have written the
> 'About' page for the mission which explains why we need tools like
> pip. However, I am not sure if my way of explaining things is right or
> not as I am a beginner. I would really appreciate it if someone could
> give me some guidance on whether I am on the right track. :)
>
> Here is the text:
> Python code that is not a part of the Python Standard Library is
> commonly released in the form of packages. As these packages are not a
> part of the standard library, we use tools like pip and easy_install
> to download and install these 'third-party' packages. Using pip and
> easy_install, we can install code other developers have written and
> use it in our own projects.
>
> Many packages can be found in the Python Package Index (PyPI).
>
> About pip and easy_install
>
> pip and easy_install are package managers that are used to install and
> manage third-party software packages written in Python.
>
> One major advantage of using the above-mentioned tools is that they
> have a very simple command-line interface which makes installing
> Python packages a breeze.
>
> What you'll learn
>
> In order to make cool Python projects, you have to download and
> install third-party Python packages, and to install these awesome
> Python packages, you have to install package installers (pip and
> easy_install, in this case) and to install package installers, you
> have to figure out how to install software on your system in general.
>
> Sounds tedious! But don't worry, after completing this training
> mission, you will have installed pip and easy_install on your system
> and will be able to use these tools to install the Python packages
> that you wish to use.
>
> Getting started
>
> This mission consists of four parts: installing pip and easy_install
> on your system, installing packages, removing packages and a quick
> reference at the end.
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Eeshan Garg

*Carol Willing*