[OH-Dev] Issue Management Migration to GitHub Issues

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Jul 24 18:13:30 UTC 2014

Hey all, and apologies for any of the delay that is due to me.

Thanks Shauna for bringing up it again!

Louis, I mega appreciate the work you did to make this technically very
feasible!

Shauna, I also have some reservations about GitHub. I'm a fan of the idea
of us articulating them. The biggest category for me is a
technical-political-free-software-ish one: that by using GitHub issues, we
ask our contributors to use a non-free remote web app whose data policies
they may not trust, we ask them to

I recently read an email from the Pootle folks (in the past, I've submitted
some patches to them) here <
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.translate.pootle/3925> that made
me really heartened that there is a way to express these reservations while
using the system.

Those are sort of the anti-negative, the reasons not to not switch. Some
reasons I do actively want to switch:

* I have not done a great job of maintaining our Roundup instance. We might
be running an old-ish version. We might be insecure. I don't know. I
haven't made time to find out.

* Therefore, switching would do me the favor of removing one category of
task and self-disappointment from my life.

* Another reason is the very nice integration between github issues and
github pull requests. Right now, we are using github pull requests for code
review and collaboration. My favorite piece of this integration is the
ability to close issues directly from the pull request. My second favorite
is that by having a consistent username space for pull requests + issues,
we can't confuse OpenHatch contributors by having two usernames for the
same person, which happens periodically in our current setup. This means
you can @-notify someone and know that they'll see the message, which is
good for community.

I'll make a historical note that Karen Rustad might remember/appreciate --
I remember about 3 years ago we decided to use github for git hosting, and
Karen took a stand that it was a bad idea to use any non-pure-git features
of github because otherwise we would fall down a slippery slope. I agreed
then but minced words. Then 2.25 years ago, PyCon sprinters really wanted
to use GitHub pull requests. And here we are, switching to GitHub issues.
I'm sad about it, but I also know there are only so many technical fights
that it's worth me bothering to spend my time on, and I personally just
have lost my zeal to maintain our Roundup instance.