[OH-Dev] [issue912] Explain in install docs why we bundle vendor libs

natea bugs at openhatch.org
Sat Jan 4 18:41:52 UTC 2014

New submission from natea <nate at appsembler.com>:

On the documentation installation page, I noticed that the step to install the requirements was
missing. Asheesh assured me that that if I followed the instructions, all would be okay. Sure enough,
the syncdb command didn't complain about Django missing as I had expected.

If we are going to bundle the dependencies with the repo, we should explain to users that in 95% of
Django projects, this is not the case. They will need to run 'pip install -r requirements.txt' to install
all of the project's dependencies.

I'm not proposing to change the way things are currently done, because I think it's of great
convenience (albeit an annoyance to maintain) a directory of bundled dependencies, but I do think
we should add something in the documentation giving the reader a heads up that this is not typical,
and if they try to skip the pip install step with other Django projects, things won't work.

messages: 4012
nosy: natea, paulproteus
priority: wish
status: unread
title: Explain in install docs why we bundle vendor libs