[OH-Dev] [issue937] code snippets display weird, in some training missions web pages, in li.raquo_bullets

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sat Feb 8 05:45:22 UTC 2014

New submission from Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org>:

On http://openhatch.org/missions/diffpatch/recursive_patch , I see the following
oddity.

In the bullet beginning with "Unpack the tarball. This will create a familiar..."
the word "recipes" appears offset to the point where it is partly obscured.

In general, what seems to be happening is that the CODE element should either
"clear: both;" (in CSS; explained here:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12871710/why-clear-both-css ), or something
else should be done...

There are two reasonable fixes that I can think of. One would be to apply the
"clearfix" class to the li.raquo_bullets in that page. Another would be to add
some CSS rules so that, on this page, the CODE tag is "display: inline;".

You can find which CSS files affect that page by running a local server, then
doing 'view source'. You'll find that localhost:8000/static/ corresponds to
mysite/static/.

Oh -- another way to do it is to add a special CSS class to these CODE tags that
should have the "display: inline;" property. This would require creating a new
CSS class in our collection of CSS classes, which is a good thing to do
generally.

To find the right HTML template file, I recommend running this in your terminal:

git grep "This will create a familiar"

You will probably see just one file.

Once you fix it, you'll need to submit a pull request. Feel free to ask Asheesh
(me, aka paulproteus) for help as you progress through this. Additionally, it
would be great if you can look at other pages within the "training missions" part
of the site to see if they suffer from the same problem, and if your fix fixes
that, too.

Note that there is a general reason that the CODE tag is formatted that way, even
though it's exhibiting this awful current behavior. The idea is that if a CODE
tag is really wide, then we want to make sure there is a scrollbar. See
http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue798 for the origin of this.

keyword: bitesize
messages: 4117
nosy: paulproteus
priority: bug
status: unread
title: code snippets display weird, in some training missions web pages, in li.raquo_bullets