[OH-Dev] [issue960] making people safer (FSVO safer)

Kevix bugs at openhatch.org
Wed Apr 16 20:23:26 UTC 2014

New submission from Kevix <kevin.mark at verizon.net>:

I'd love to live in a ideal world where this isn't an issue. And I would expect
Open Hatch to strive for a world like that and have safe spaces. People should
be able to choose the names they want but at the same time be made aware of this
possibly safer idea. It has been noted that the use of female-gendered nicknames
and the use of 'real names' in places like IRC, git, etc. can lead to unwelcome
behavior by trolls. So the use of a non-female-gendered pseudonym can be used.
A suggestion can be made to use non-female gendered nicknames and to configure
services like github to display similar. It might also be useful for services to
display a nickname used on irc, so the nick on irc can be identified with the
open hatch git bot messages.

messages: 4239
nosy: Kevix, paulproteus
priority: wish