[OH-Dev] Moving our issue tracking to GitHub (?)

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Mon Apr 14 19:38:12 UTC 2014

Hey all,

(CC:ing Jessica since I mention you here and I haven't seen you active here
lately so I wanted to make sure you see this,)

Shauna and I were talking at PyCon about the problems we've had with our
self-hosted Roundup instance. In particular:

* http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue897

* http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue474

Shauna also ran into another issue, iirc, involving searching for issues.

Roundup is the bug tracking software we're using; it's hosted on
linode.openhatch.org, which is the same VM that runs the main site.
https://openhatch.org/wiki/Maintaining_the_OpenHatch_bug_tracker contains
more information on what it takes to maintain that.

It seems to me that I'm not doing a good job of being responsive to
design-type issues about the bug tracker, and nor are Jack Grigg nor
Jessica McKellar being responsive to them, either.

Therefore, it seems like we'd be better off if we use an externally hosted
bug tracker that has more features and is easier for us to customize. I was
thinking GitHub issues, since that's also where the code is hosted, and
therefore we could auto-close issues by pushing.