[OH-Dev] New, mini "tasks" app

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Apr 13 22:48:18 UTC 2013

Howdy all,

I've been semi-stealthily working on a new OpenHatchy bit of web code, and
I thought now (well, the past) would be a good time to say what I've been
up to, explain why, and request help. (-:

You can see it in action at
http://linode.openhatch.org/~paulproteus/tmp/tasks/

Keegan McAllister helped out a bunch with the app for the most recent
event, at Wellesley College; our work together is here:
https://github.com/openhatch/new-mini-tasks

The idea behind it is to provide a way to let some event administrator
(me, so far) manually check a list of tasks for attendees of an open
source outreach event to do that meaningfully contribute to an open source
project, provide categorizations for the bugs, provide hints as to how one
would solve the bugs, and (crucially) give me a way to manually review the
bugs before showing them to attendees.

I architected it in the simplest way I could think of -- the "database" is
a Google Docs spreadsheet. This one, in particular:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoHP1ey91UqPdC1EUFV4aXBETmY3bFBzTFhpdG1ISEE&usp=sharing

(That link permits editing, so be nice!)

Shauna and I agreed yesterday that we should improve the app so that
attendes can "claim" tasks in the UI, which should help people avoid
stepping on each others' toes -- and help them work together on the same
task. (Humans will continue to walk around the room and make sure people
are collaboratin where appropriate, but tool support for this will be very
important at http://umass.openhatch.org/ where we have >50 people signed
up!!)

The problem is, those changes would be really messy if we stick to the
current "database".

It'd be way better if someone wanted to port this to a different actual
web framework, preferably Django but I'm willing to take when I can get.
(-; Django seems appropriate here because the built-in admin system
could be useful for doing what we do currently with the spreadsheet.

We do have an event tomorrow, where it'd be super nice to use this
functionality. We do also have some data we'd need to import into it.

(Also: In the long run, I can imagine this replacing a bunch of the code
and UI behind openhatch.org/search/ but it feels like more work to edit
that code rather than improve this prototype.)

Having written this out, I will now go ping people on IRC to see if I can
excite someone about doing this "port". If you're interested, do show up
on IRC (#openhatch irc.freenode.net as always).