[OH-Dev] [issue760] The Forum is overrun with spam

Asheesh Laroia bugs at openhatch.org
Sat Nov 17 22:49:58 UTC 2012

Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> added the comment:

Hey Jessica, and all,

I've removed the spam through using a script, and published the script:
https://github.com/openhatch/oh-forum-spam

If you agree that the forum is no longer overrun, then I'd love if you (or
someone else) would mark this as resolved.

It turned out to be fairly easy to identify and remove the spam with the
script's help.

If the problem recurs, we can look into installing a Vanilla add-on like
http://vanillaforums.org/addon/593-vanilla-antispam . I'd want to read the code
of the add-on, and I'm a bit wary of it because it seems from forum posts that
the particular add-on gives an error when one of the remote services it depends
on is down, rather than gracefully handling the network issue.

status: chatting -> need-review