[OH-Dev] Sphinx, Read the Docs, and OpenHatch

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Mar 15 20:40:56 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Asheesh Laroia's message of Tue Mar 13 21:01:38 -0400 2012:
> Hey all,
>
> Daniel at the PyCon sprints has beeen working on converting our docs into
> Sphinx + restructured text. I figure we should host the result on
> readthedocs.org , which is an exciting little website.
>
> With that in mind, Daniel, if you want to create a project on
> readthedocs.org called OpenHatch, please go ahead! (I had an empty one
> before, but hopefully with Daniel at the help for docs we'll actually get
> somewhere.)
>
> I'm thinking we should move all the development documentation for the app
> into the app itself, into a doc/ directory, and have that be rST + Sphinx.

One oddity: licensing.

Code contributions are AGPLv3. Text documents on the wiki are CC by-sa 3.0
generic.

My proposed solution:

* New policy for files in docs/: CC Zero (similar to public domain).

* New policy for licensing statements: People should say that the files
  they contribute to docs/ are CC Zero.

The docs currently in docs/ (in mdaniel's pull request, which I just merged)
are his+my work, with smaller contributions from others. I think it's safe
to call those CC Zero if he and I agree to the new policy.

I'm going to update the wiki page and docs/ with this plan immediately,
but if people have other thoughts on how we should do it, I'm all ears.