[OH-Dev] New tools directory

Asheesh Laroia lists at asheesh.org
Thu Jun 21 00:05:54 UTC 2012

Excerpts from Daniel Mizyrycki's message of Wed Jun 20 20:04:04 -0400 2012:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Here is part of the discussion we are having with Asheesh about the
> advantage of a tools directory, and in particular a tool that will
> automatically remove trailing whitespaces on commit.
> >>>
> >> Excellent point. The tool is a hack of what I found at
> >> http://stackoverflow.com. It is good enough for me and I think  a good
> >> start for this project. I uploaded it in
> >> https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/f500f3ad43125778c2854d51f37dc7a92ffec7f3
> >> . There is no harm in adding the tool as one need to create a symlink
> >> into .git/hooks to be operational. The question now is where we want to
> >> iterate.
> > That is interesting. Let's have that be a separate thread.
> >
> > In general I'm excited about it, but I'm concerned about the copyright status
> > with stuff just found on StackOverflow (maybe it's usable? I'm just not
> > sure), and also it'd be great if we can document how to use those git
> > hooks.
> Such a shame. Here is a snippit of their contract:
> You agree that all Subscriber Content that You contribute to the Network
> is perpetually and irrevocably licensed to Stack Exchange under the
> Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5/> license. You grant
> Stack Exchange the perpetual and irrevocable right and license to use,
> copy, cache, publish, display, distribute, modify, create derivative
> works and store such Subscriber Content and to allow others to do so in
> any medium now known or hereinafter developed ("Content License") in
> order to provide the Services, even if such Subscriber Content has been
> contributed and subsequently removed by You.
>
> The keywords here is that the contribution is licenced to StackOverflow.
> In general, I wonder if the fact that the work was released as CC BY-SA
> gives us any right at all. In particular, I will create a new tool using
> python for this task. I just wanted to have something to start with, but
> legal liability truly takes all the passion of opensource.

The fact that it's licensed by-sa to StackExchange does mean that
we are permitted to use it under the (fairly permissive) terms of
the Creative Commons by-sa 2.5 license, actually!

So I would say, if you don't want to rewrite it, make a note at the
top with that quote from their contract page, and we'll just agree
that the one file in our repository is licensed CC by-sa 2.5.

A slightly weird license for software, but livable, in my opinion.