[OH-Dev] Documenting deployment with Heroku

Daniel Mizyrycki daniel at glidelink.net
Wed Jun 20 23:45:47 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 01:29 PM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Excerpts from Daniel Mizyrycki's message of Wed Jun 20 13:41:28 -0400 2012:
>> Hi Asheesh,

>>> Oops, I was going to submit that.
>>>
>>> Let me first review https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/39 ...
>>>
>>> This pull request is great. I would suggest reorganizing things a
>>> little, so the things that are only relevant to the OpenHatch
>>> deployment are in a separate section. I can submit a pull request for
>>> that shortly, maybe 1-3 days. Merged your pull request.
>>>
>> Sure
>>
>>> Okay, now the Heroku Procfile fix pull request... submitted. Please
>>> review!
>>>
>>> https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/pull/40
>>>
>> Done. I confirm this file is necessary for Heroku to correctly find our
>> application. 'heroku scale web=1' does not work without it. Please do
>> the pull. Also, we need to update our documentation to ask the user to
>> run 'heroku scale web=1'
>> I think you would like
>> https://github.com/mzdaniel/oh-mainline/commit/cdb5b2ba7b33023203d48c5d15ca30d94ee07216
>> . It contains the additions we'd been discussing so far.
> I have a suspicion that if you have a Procfile when the deploy first
> happens, you don't have to run the "heroku scale web=1" command. So
> this is sort of a workaround for our initial brokenness.
And you are right!   My experience is that it is easy to break the
special conditions that
trigger automatic heroku activation (sort of what happen to you with the
automatic
git remote). It seems to me, we should move this step to the
troubleshooting section.

> For now, I'll just commit this doc change, but if you end up being
> able to test this and find that the "scale" command isn't truly
> necessary, then feel free to adjust the docs again.
>
> Pushed: https://github.com/openhatch/oh-mainline/commit/9ee7292f89a488c5b47c03dfd29b40f5846b46b3
Nice!   I will revise the document and submit a pull request then.