[OH-Dev] Training missions: is a realistic plot okay?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Jul 13 14:58:20 UTC 2012

I'm thinking of adding more training missions that are realistic
tutorials, rather than whimsical plots.

For context -- I'm sitting here at Wikimania, helping a Mozillian with
some Debian/Ubuntu packaging work, and teaching him how to use "quilt". It
turns out that there's a super-bitesize bug in a package called 'arduino',
and that it can be used as part of tutorials on:

* testing packages to make sure that bugs are still present

* rebuilding Debian packages from source

* using 'quilt' to create patches to fix bugs in Debian packages

(This is the bug link:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/arduino/+bug/998952 )

There are quite a few places in this process that it's easy to get lost!
That suggests to me that the the 'training mission' format of having the
website verify your work periodically is still quite appropriate.

So here's the question: What if I add one or two (or three?) training
missions around .deb packaging that have realistic plots, involving actual
user-facing bugs in older versions of packages, rather than the whimsical
sort of thing we added like the 'cookbook' setup for the "diff/patch"
mission?

It seems sensible to me, and I know the training missions were originally
my idea, so arguably I can just be bold and add these new missions, but I
thought I'd check to see what others think first.

(It also seems quite nice to have a reasonably-large collection of
these, and then we can let people try out the process of contributing to
a project through a simulation.)

I'm also attaching my very skechy 1;5Cnotes from what I watched him do,
just so they're somewhere reasonable.

Yours truly,