[OH-Dev] Front page redesign: status report

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Feb 13 19:33:17 UTC 2012

Hi all!

A few months ago, we began redesigning the front page of the site to
reflect OpenHatch's ongoing outreach events, and generally make things
dramatically cleaner.

We dropped the ball before finishing. I've rebased the branch, pushed it
a branch on Github (front_page_v2 )

*and* it is available as a preview on the web here:
http://gentle-robot-6466.herokuapp.com/

Note that this Heroku instance might not have a working database, so tread
carefully (-:. It's just supposed to be a working demo of the CSS and HTML
changes.

General questions:

* What do y'all think of the new design?

* What would you change?

* Is this generally okay and should we continue to march forward and
implement the new style across the site, or should I slow down and take
more feedback?

* Does anyone else want to spend some time doing the above? It shouldn't
require making any changes to the Python code on the site, just our HTML
templates and CSS. That would extremely rule.

I think that it should be possible to adjust the entire site into this
layout within the week, either by me or by someone else diving in! (It's a
release goal to ship it by the end of the month.)