[OH-Dev] On making the /people/* pages faster

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Nov 22 03:49:23 UTC 2011

So, there are a bunch of pages that begin with /people/ that are what we
call "People search."

Those pages are often excruciatingly slow. They are backended by two
separate systems of searching for people: Haystack (itself backed by
either Whoosh or Xapian), and also direct Django ORM queries.

Frequently, they're excruciatingly slow due to features that nobody uses.
So I'm going to write up a wiki page with all the features the "People
search" pages have right now, and then I'm going to remove basically all
the features.

Let's add them back slowly, if at all, based on if we can make them
perform decently well.

This emphasis on a speedy backend is separate from any redesign-type
ideas. If you have redesign-type ideas, share them!