[Devel] [issue418] Logged-in home page

Jessica Ledbetter bugs at openhatch.org
Sun May 1 14:19:42 UTC 2011

New submission from Jessica Ledbetter <jessica at jessicaledbetter.com>:

Let's start gathering up our ideas for 11.05 for this page :)

___Contribute to open source tab___

Projects box:
* Maybe show a link to bugs if there are some. Do we just show bitesize or all?

Training missions:
* Show progress. This might mean some tinkering of the mission model.

* I did see somewhere in code a way to list people that have completed it. Not
sure if that'd be interesting but maybe? "Join 73 other people that have finished
the SVN mission" or such.

* I would love to see a list of all missions dynamically so that we can say "new"
or "updated?" or such. Again, might mean tinkering with the missions model unless
I didn't understand the methods right.

People:

* Number of people shown should be limited to maybe 5?

* Add "mentors" list

___Attract contributors tab___

* It maybe should link to projects you're a part of, particular show the ones
that have wannahelpers. - Asheesh

* It should maybe provide a 'nudge' to fill out the project page, if it's blank.
- Asheesh

* If one of the projects doesn't have any Bug objects associated with it, it
could (for now) link to the wiki page about adding a bug tracker. (Soon, maybe
later today, there'll be an in-site UI for that.) - Asheesh

* Maybe link to places/help on how to grow/maintain community? Ideas on where to
find developers? Related to: https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue323

* Feature new developers? Or new user with contact information filled out that is
interested in that language but maybe hasn't seen that project?

* Social networking tie-in? "Tweet this" for "Want to get started in open source?
Gain fame, fortune (of praise)." + shortened url to their bitesize bugs on
openhatch? with good hashtags? and how to set up a page on Facebook? Not sure
about that. Or maybe which pages would be good to "advertise" on?

* List of colleges nearby with ACM chapters or area LUGS or again more "where to
find people" type ideas.

* List of people that said "I wanna help" and a way to contact them. Related to:
http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue282 and http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue408

Please add your ideas. We can always push some to later milestones but definitely
hope we keep iteratively improving these landing pages :)

messages: 1800
milestone: 0.11.05
nosy: jessica, paulproteus
priority: bug