[Devel] daily snapshots

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Sat Jul 16 14:13:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, 16 Jul 2011, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> The underlying problem is, I think, that cron on the server is just
> utterly confused and refuses to do anything.
>
> I'll see if I can diagnose and/or fix that right now.

Apparently I accidentally erased the crontab on linode2. (This is why the
crontab should be stored in server-related files that are in version
control, like in a Puppet manifest.)

I've just now reinstated it, and run the snapshotting task! linode2 does
the snapshot generation to avoid putting more load on the main server.

(Also for some reason, the main linode was using "Bruce's cron" not "Vixie
cron" (bcron vs. cron). I don't remember why I made that switch, but I
switched back to Vixie cron in the hopes that it will fix the
profile_daily_tasks cron job which seems not to fire often enough.)

Snapshots should be back. Mark, if you agree, then please close the bug
you opened about this.