[Devel] Buildhelper 0.0.1 exists!

Karen Rustad karen at openhatch.org
Thu Jul 7 20:40:13 UTC 2011

Good news, everyone!

An extremely basic, extremely silly version of the buildhelper (a new
feature I described here:
https://openhatch.org/blog/2010/introducing-the-buildhelper/) is now
available and live on openhatch.org. You can see it on OpenHatch's project
page at http://openhatch.org/+projects/OpenHatch (since OpenHatch is the
only project that has a buildhelper document thus far).

If you want to import this buildhelper data into your local install,
download https://openhatch.org/bugs/file371/buildhelperdump.json and change
the project id to the pk of a project on your local install.

Things that need fixing:
* There is no way to create or edit a buildhelper except in the Django admin
(which sadly doesn't handle default values the way I'd like :P).
* We don't have any way to change the order that steps appear in, or record
the proper order.
* Currently the checkboxes do nothing. What they ought to do is get AJAXily
recorded in a one-to-many of which people have completed a given step, so we
can save your progress.
* OpenHatch's own buildhelper doc (based on the README) is inaccurate and
incomplete in a number of respects--it doesn't tell you how to get our
source code, there aren't nearly enough hints, all the time estimates are
made up, and the only (!) frustration handler link doesn't link to our IRC
channel.
* The styling is okay but not great; there are definitely some CSS bugs that
could use fixing.

Future improvements:
* Getting full web-based CRUD functionality working.
* We should have a 'Hooray, you got a working dev install of {{
project.name}}!' button at the end that becomes active after you check
off all the
steps, that, when pressed, records your huge success somewhere and displays
it under some sort of 'has a dev install of' category on your OH profile.
* Forum integration somehow? I have no idea.
* Documentation of what each field in a buildhelper step is supposed to do
(I might do this later today)
* We should have some sort of standard Buildhelper text file format that
projects can host in their repositories somewhere (or we could host it,
whatever) and we can regularly check and import to update the web-based
Buildhelper. Also this would make offline editing easier.
* Figuring out how to accompany multiple buildhelpers within the UI ("here's
the Debian/Ubuntu buildhelper! the Mac buildhelper! the Windows
buildhelper!" etc)
* A rating system ("these instructions did/didn't work for me") / tracking
which step people report they get stuck on a lot
* Shiny pretty goodness!

Feedback extremely welcome!

-- Karen