[Devel] New to OpenHatch and have some ideas

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Jan 10 22:53:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011, David Baumann wrote:

> Hello together,
>
> I have found this project via an article in "Linux Magazin" so I got back to
> my pc at 2:00 am to register here :).

That's awesome! Great to have someone new on the IRC channel, too.

> My first suggestion was that "we" should do some advertisement on some
> mailing lists asking for some mentors here for the projects.

That's a reasonably good idea, but I'm always afraid that people who don't
know about the project will think it's lame that we're trying to ask them
to sign up for a website.

I wrote a ticket here about outreach: http://openhatch.org/bugs/issue200
-- it involves reaching out to people who already use the site. I
bet there are a lot of project maintainers who have accounts on the
site who use Subversion for their project; their new contributors
would do well to try our svn mission. So the ticket is about talking to
those project maintainers.

What do you think about that idea? Is that something you'd be willing to
work on?

> Maybe also there could be the possibility to receive e-mails via
> %username%@OpenHatch.org so you don't need to publish your e-mail
> adress.

The site does have a Craigslist-style remailer feature -- try editing your
profile, and read the note in the contact info section.

> I postet the link to here in 2 forums, hoping to get some new users this
> way.

Cool!

You will step on the night soil of many countries.