[Devel] [issue185] Create a basic "git" training mission

Mike Doherty doherty at cs.dal.ca
Sun Jan 9 23:32:13 UTC 2011

On 11-01-09 02:14 AM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> Asheesh Laroia <asheesh at asheesh.org> added the comment:
>
> Hey Mike!
>
> I think that it would be helpful to agree on the "plot" of the mission before
> you start coding it. If you have some ideas for it, I suggest you mail them to
> devel@ and we can discuss there. If  not, then you and I and the rest of
> #openhatch can brainstorrm on IRC first.
>
> Then, I suggest that you submit some patches that add the skeleton of the
> mission to the codebase. By "skeleton" I'm thinking, just enough to show all the
> pages, and put some placeholder text on them.
>
> Then, I suggest you modify the mission so it actually does whatever the "meat"
> of the mission is. (For example, for the Subversion mission, this would be
> tracking the state of the user through the mission, and the work of creating a
> Subversion repository for the user, and the complex code that validates the
> user's input.)

> Roundup issue tracker <bugs at openhatch.org>
> <https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue185>

My thoughts are to follow http://progit.org/book/ fairly closely for a
5-step mission:
1. Installing Git
2. Configuring Git
3. Cloning a repository
4. Viewing history
5. Committing and sharing your commit

The writing is easy. I've written on git before, and there are plenty of
good guides to steal from.

The validation code is going to be the main challenge. I don't know much
Python, and I've never worked with Django. I would welcome help with
figuring out how to validate the steps, and implementing it.

Thanks,
-Mike