[Devel] Learning new codebase (Python/Django)

will kahn-greene willg at bluesock.org
Fri Feb 18 23:42:45 UTC 2011

I think we're getting a bit off topic here, but given that OpenHatch
itself is written in Python and I suspect some/many of the people on
this list are either new to Python or could use some more learnin'
(myself included), I'll respond to the list.

If you skim through the site, there are videos targeted towards people
of all levels.  Some of the video descriptions talk about what the
target audience is.  Unfortunately, this isn't true of all the videos.
Partially because it's hard to identify a useful target audience moniker
for some/many of the videos.

Anyhow, it sounds like the PyCon 2010 Python tutorial sessions might be
interesting:

http://python.mirocommunity.org/video/1575/pycon-2010-python-101

http://python.mirocommunity.org/video/1615/pycon-2010-python-102

Also, I've tagged a lot of these kinds of videos with "python-basics".
You can see those videos here:

http://python.mirocommunity.org/listing/tag/python-basics/

There's another tag I use frequently "python-advanced" which covers some
of the more interesting bits of the Python language.

http://python.mirocommunity.org/listing/tag/python-advanced/

One thing you'll notice with both those links is that they're swaths of
videos and the view of the videos isn't particularly useful.  I'd like
to put them in playlists so that you can go from video to video in a
logical progression.  Some day....

Hope that helps!

/will