[OH-Dev] The end of buildout is near

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Thu Aug 18 18:25:53 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've been working to switch us to use "setup.py develop + virtualenv"
instead of "buildout" as the command that downloads and updates
dependencies.

I'm extremely looking forward to this transition being complete. It took
me a bit longer than I hoped, but I have a workable test-bed for people
who want to try it.

It's on the no_buildout branch on Gitorious. I have a mostly-updated
README.virtualenv.mkd in that repository. Things that still need to
happen:

* People who had problems with buildout in the past should test that these
new instructions do work for them.

* I need to make the deployment compatible with new setup, which it is not
currently.

* I need to update the Vagrant setup to be compatible with the new setup.

So:

To test this

Switch directory into your clone of oh-mainline.

  # Get the latest code
  git fetch

  # Create a branch on your machine that tracks the no_buildout work
  git checkout origin/no_buildout -b no_buildout

  # Read the new README
  less README.virtualenv.mkd

I really want people to try it! Let me know if it works!