[OH-Dev] calagator work on github

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Tue Aug 9 07:27:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Chris Sims wrote:

> Just a quick note about what I've done on the fork - it's all just
> changing the design.  I only had a day or two to look at it, and I don't
> know enough about ruby yet to really dive into the current work being
> done moving it to rails 3.
>
> The fork was created before they started the rails_3 branch.

Your branch looks great. It's kind of remarkable how great it looks.

> I'm more than willing to add collaborators on the repo if that's what we
> want to use, just let me know.  I will work on pulling in the rails_3
> branch.

Pulling in the rails_3 branch seems great!

<rambling topic="github">
You said, "if that's what we want to use" -- I'm kind of torn on the
process.

On one hand, I like our git workflow involving sending format-patch files
around by email. I don't really like the 'git merge' command. Our code is
on Gitorious, not Github. I lik that we don't require OpenHatch
contributors to have a Github account.

On the other hand, if we base our Calagator work off the upstream
Calagator, we should probably use the same workflow as they use.

For now, more collaborators on your personal Github repo seems like a good
plan. In the future, maybe we should also copy the main repository onto
Github, and keep Gitorious and Github in sync, and create an OpenHatch
group on Github?
</rambling>

Also, to make things easier for us, I wonder if we can get Calagator to
accept our OpenHatch theme as part of upstream. (or if there's an easy way
to modify just the theme, so we don't have to modify the main codebase)
Chris, do you think they might do that?