[OH-Dev] Project page usability audit results

Karen Rustad karen at openhatch.org
Sun Aug 7 08:09:28 UTC 2011

Hey folks,

Just took a pass through the project page (and related pages) tonight for
our project page usability audit (as mentioned on our roadmap for this
iteration: http://piratepad.net/next-few-months). Here's a summary of the
issues I found (with their Roundup bugs):

* Project maintainers have no interface to contact people who've clicked 'I
wanna help', or to track which ones they've contacted and which they
haven't. This feature's been stalled for a while on deciding the UI (see
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue282); we (probably meaning I) should get it
unstuck.

* It would be helpful if when people clicked IWH, they could give project
maintainers an optional extra bit of information about what they're
interested in / how they'd like to help, if they know. (Which would then be
visible to project maintainers through the above UI.) See
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue519.

* Right now people don't get feedback from the UI when they click the IWH
button. It would be nice if a friendly notification popped up. See
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue518.

* There's no way to edit the project description that appears on a project
page, not even if you're a contributor. It's a little surprising this hasn't
yet resulted in trollarity. https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue521

* In order to make the site more project focused and make the project pages
more visible, we should have a rotating 'Featured Project' of the week
widget on the home page, featuring projects that are active on OH (have
bugs, have filled out their profile) in either a manual or automagic
fashion. https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue523

* Automagic Read the Docs integration / link on project pages:
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue330 This would still be really cool.

* Not strictly project-page oriented, but I ran into a few irritating
profile portfolio editing problems: https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue384
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue515 https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue516 Since
this is the only way to mark yourself as a contributor to a project (not
just a IWHer), this does matter to some degree.

* Some suggestions for making the logged-in project maintainers home page
tab more useful: https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue526

* And for making the projects index page more usable:
https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue524, https://openhatch.org/bugs/issue525

* And then there's the buildhelper and all the bugs associated with it. I
won't list them here for now, just wanted to mention them as part of the
wider More Awesomer Project Pages theme.

Let me know what you think of this feedback, either here on the list or on
the relevant bug(s)! Also, if you've noticed a project page usability
problem that I missed, please file a bug and link it in this thread!

-- Karen