[Devel] A proposal for letting people SSH into the main machine and deploy new versions of the OpenHatch code

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Apr 15 00:12:44 UTC 2011

I think more people need access to be able to deploy new versions of the
OpenHatch code. More people also need access to information that helps
them develop, even if comes at a possible cost of those people being able
to get a copy of the personal information that people entrust to us.

PURPOSE OF THIS EMAIL

I want to grant shell access to the "deploy" user, and to things like
session IDs, to more people. There are some people who have been
contributing who seem quite trustworthy, and I want to empower them to
make the site better faster, without me as a bottleneck.

I want to get y'all's feeling about it. If no one raises an objection by
the end of the Saturday meeting, then I will make it a reality. I'm happy
to hear suggestions to improve the process.

BACKGROUND

So, right now, there are a few people with shell access to the 'deploy'
account:

* Asheesh Laroia
* Parker Phinney
* John Stumpo
* Raphael Krut-Landau

Only one of those is actually active. All four are "trusted" with the
ability to deploy new code and read the live database.

Here's how it worked in the past: If Asheesh thought it made sense for you
to get shell access, then you could have it. Back when OpenHatch,
Incorporated, was the primary entity contributing to the codebase, this
especially made sense. John was a Summer of Code student; Parker was an
intern (you can read about that on the OpenHatch blog!). Raffi and I were
co-founders.

Maybe we should delete some of the people who aren't me... actually, I'll
do that right now. Done.

I asked people, informally, to be trustworthy with access. I think they
were.

The privacy policy at https://openhatch.org/policies-etc/ seems to be in
line with the above situation.

PROPOSAL

Let's formalize the above system. To get shell access to deploy at linode,
you will have to:

* Agree to reasonable machine usage policies and to respect users'
privacy, and not impersonate people maliciously. (I'd like to have a
write-up of what this means for us. I thought, at first, that we could
copy http://www.debian.org/devel/dmup but it's not quite as relevant as I
thought. The write-up should be short, maybe between 1 and 12 sentences in
length.)

* Email me, and I will say "yes" or "no" within 5 days, and give you a
reason why I said 'yes' or 'no'.

RATIONALE

This is a simple process, and everyone who has access has to go through me
for now so that I feel comfortable granting it. Hopefully I won't be a
bottleneck at that point.

We could be more democratic, but I kind of don't want to be, if that's
okay.

ADDENDUM: EMAILS THAT ARE POSSIBLY SENSITIVE

Right now, also, when there are exceptions that the live site hits, Django
emails me, and then I stare at the emails with dread. I don't forward them
along to public mailing lists because they contain session IDs, which are
enough information for anyone with the session ID to log in as the user
who caused the exception. The same thing happens with Roundup, when
Roundup hits an exception.

Let's do the same thing as above for that: emails that might contain e.g.
session IDs will go to the [Monitoring-private] list, which will have a
private archive. Once you agree to be nice, then I'll subscribe you to
that list.

ADDENDUM: ROOT ACCESS

Same process as for 'deploy at linode'.

http://asheesh.org/

You will stop at nothing to reach your objective, but only because your
brakes are defective.