[Devel] Preconfigured VM for jump-in hacking?

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Tue Sep 7 20:00:43 UTC 2010

Excerpts from J W's message of Thu Sep 02 06:31:17 +0000 2010:
> What does everyone think of a VM, with Debian testing installed and
> openhatch preconfigured and setup, to allow people to easily jump in
> to the code base and start hacking? It could be torrented to help
> share the bandwidth load.

I think that'd be great.

I wouldn't even worry about the bandwidth -- I bet I can find some
friendly well-connected machines to host the images on.

Dreamdwidth does something similar. Anyone want to investigate what
they do, and tell us how well you think it could apply? In
particular, they seem to give out VMs to people. We could give out
VM images, or we could maybe do what Dreamwidth does.

Dreamwidth is a project that runs a blogging website (like
LiveJournal -- based on the same code) and has a big contributor
base. Actually, there's some neat general stuff written about them
at http://azurelunatic.dreamwidth.org/6389107.html .

Anyway -- http://wiki.dwscoalition.org/notes/Dev_Getting_Started is
their getting started page.

So I'm curious -- what do you guys think of what Dreamwidth did?
And even if we don't provide an Internet-accessible version, would
anyone on the list be willing to take a shot at making the VM
image? I'd be happy to provide oodles of advice on
#openhatch as always. (-:

What I tell you three times is true.
		-- Lewis Carroll