[Devel] Running 'bin/buildout' fails

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at openhatch.org
Tue Aug 31 20:09:45 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Jeff Welling's message of Tue Aug 31 11:08:43 +0000 2010:
> Hi
> I'm following the directions in the README to try and setup my own OpenHatch so
> I can crush you like the weasels you are  work on writing a scraper for the
> Github Issues bug tracker and if I'm lucky with the lightbulb moments,
> hopefully one for ticgit as well.

That's thrilling! (-:

For ticgit, I realize you'll have to look at the data in a git repository. For right now
it's okay with me if the ticgit importer we have has to do a fresh "git clone" every time
it runs.

> Except, that I'm running into trouble just setting up my instance of openhatch
> following the directions in the README.
> I get to running;
>
> /bin/buildout
>
> and I get;
>
> root at openhatch:~/openhatch# bin/buildout
> Develop: '/root/openhatch/.'
> Installing scripts.
> Getting distribution for 'launchpadlib==1.5.3'.
> While:
>   Installing scripts.
>   Getting distribution for 'launchpadlib==1.5.3'.
> Error: Couldn't find a distribution for 'launchpadlib==1.5.3'.
> root at openhatch:~/openhatch#

Eek! A few thoughts:

1. Don't run buildout as root. That's just scary. (-:

2. In buildout.cfg, take a look -- we pin the version down to 1.5.3. I don't
recall why we do that, but if you find it's not necessary, just remove that
pinning; if it all works, submit that as a patch!

Sometimes we pin down versions because we've patched them; other times because
we really wanted a particular version for some reason; other times because we
were sloppy. So every time you see a version number pinned down, going forward
you should expect a comment explaining why it's pinned.

If there's no such comment, then assume that it's misguided. (-:

> As you can see, I'm running it in a VM as root.  I've installed all the
> prerequisites stated in the README.
>
> Is anyone else having this problem?
> What operating systems is OpenHatch known to run on? I'm using Debian stable.
> Any suggestions? I'm new, not only to the OpenHatch source code but also to
> python, though I've done plenty of work in Ruby.  I'm thinking/hoping perhaps
> its a temporary failure and that trying again when I wake up will solve the
> problem.

OpenHatch.org runs on Debian squeeze (AKA "testing"). I develop on my laptop on
Debian unstable, and we typically end up having hackers on various releases of
Ubuntu.

We chatted about some of these issues on IRC -- in general, I'm more active on IRC,
but it's good to email questions to the mailing list because then they're archived.

Does this mean we should make the IRC conversation archived too? (-:

You are going to have a new love affair.