[Ccsf-campus-staff] [OSCTC-CCSF] request for Google Hangout **this week** to discuss possibility of 7-Feb-2015 OSCTC at CCSF...

Katherine Moloney kmoloney at mail.ccsf.edu
Tue Jan 13 13:18:56 UTC 2015

Hi Asheesh & Shauna,

I think we can pull the logistics of a Feb 7th event in the next week, so
would like to stay with this date.

No affirmative commitment from OpenHatch yet, but would like to try to
schedule a conference call / Google Hangout / or whatever with the two of
you & with Tyler by the end of this week.  I've been reading the
osctc-planning archives, and would love to have a quick chat with you about
the future of OSCTC events at CCSF, plus what OpenHatch is able to support
and your efforts to scale.

I found:

   - the discussion of potential workshop goals (A-E) and the related
   discussion of value to both attendees and mentors in this thread useful:
      -
      http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000133.html
      - personally, I think:
         - CCSF, as a community college where student tenure is commonly 2
         years, is on the lower range of starting skills among the
college student
         audience
         - we have lots of the underrepresented-in-FOSS populations, so
         it's worth the effort
         - we should try to repeat the workshop annually in Spring semesters
         - we should try to run the workshop as early in the semester as
         possible, before homework builds up
         - repeat attendance is a good thing, as folks develop more skills,
         more comfort with open source, and move on to contributing (I
see that in
         myself)
         -
         - I'd love to talk about how satisfied mentors have been in the
         past, given I'm not sure that their participation yielded any new
         contributors to their FOSS project, and what kinds of
contributions might
         be good to pursue
         -
         - and, in addition, to considering formats that we've tried
   already, we should consider the 'table/station' model too:
      -
      http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-October/000137.html
      -
      http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-October/000146.html
      - we might encourage prior attendees to work at 'table' stations &
      consider the preparation to be a mentor as an opportunity for in-depth
      learning
   - more long-range I intend to discuss with the CS department, the
   possibility of a club/class -- the computer networking department is
   starting a 'Security Practice' for network security/hacking competitions &
   the engineering department has an Intro Lab that general participates in
   robotics competitions
      - I think the CS department could have an open source contribution
      club/class, which would a great skill building class as well as a great
      local resource building point
         - I'd love to see the department lead & the class curate/maintain
         a site that all students could use
      - additionally there is a Web Dev Practicum (CS 195) this semester
      that will be seeking projects for their teams to work on, we could give
      them such an initial site creation project (or site conversion/expansion,
      possibly of ccsf.openhatch.org similar to what is discussed here
      http://lists.openhatch.org/pipermail/osctc-planning/2014-September/000132.html
       )

I'd be available to chat:

   - Tue 4/13 6pm Pacific time
   - Wed 4/14 10:30am - 4pm Pacific time (carving out some time in the
   middle of my work day)
   - Thu 4/15 10:30am - 4pm Pacific time (carving out some time in the
   middle of my work day)

When might the 3 of you be available?

Katherine

p.s. A shortlink to Agenda document -- http://tinyurl.com/osctc-ccsf-mentors --